CrossFire Version History
- Improved display scaling for high DPI displays. (Windows only)
- Improved undo/redo support for puzzle meta-information.
- Improved grid filling:
- Superior fill quality.
- Multi-core support.
- Tunable speed/quality tradeoff.
- OS Support:
- Macintosh: Distributed with a proper installer.
- Macintosh: Auxiliary files placed in standard ("/Library")
- Windows: Explicit compatibility with Windows 8 and 10.
- Linux: The same nitty-gritty installation experience you know
- Third party puzzle formats:
- support for ipuz import/export.
- improved .jpz import.
- Notepad support for .puz files.
- Updated to Java 1.8.
- Improved puzzle printing.
- Cleaned up default dictionary.
- Removed obsolete Java Applet
- Ability to specify multiple dictionaries, and quickly change
- Advanced "Edit word/Add word" dialog features let you choose which
dictionary files will be modified and even delete words from files.
- Exhaustive search for the "optimal" fill in small corners.
- Better interpretation of individual word scores in context.
- Optional display of complete sample fills when available.
- More precise control over display of "candidate letters" during fill.
- Ability to do interactive fill on just selected regions.
- Ability to override default merging of accented and non-accented
- A new "Show matching words" item in the right click menu.
- A "show eliminated candidates" checkbox item in the "Fill" menu.
- Several new parameters to the CrossYYYs solving applet let you customize
the appearance to a greater degree.
- Improved Windows Vista/Windows 7 compatibility.
- Efficiency improvements.
- Added integrated support for rebuses.
- Added support for circles in grid.
- Added printing of New York Times submission sheets.
- Created an on-line solving applet -- CrossYYYs-applet.jar.
- Added ability to select/modify grid while in clue tab.
- Added visual indicator to show when grid squares are "focused" for keyboard
- Significantly improved puzzle layout for printing and export.
- Added menu options to hide "Lookup" and "Rebus" tabs if not needed.
- Improved grid display, including switch to native font.
- Improved tracking of puzzle name/modification status, including title-bar
- Added ability to add multiple words to the dictionary in one operation.
- "Grid" and "Solution" exports now suggest more meaningful filenames.
- Requires less memory for large dictionaries.
- Performs faster fills (25-50% less time on many typical grids).
- Accented characters in the dictionary are now treated like the equivalent
- Improved reliability of fill algorithm by better accounting for the
effects of repeated substrings.
- Preserved author/title/copyright information across grid changes.
- Added notification dialog for file read/write operations.
- Added explicit "revert dictionary" menu item rather than handling
implicitly through the config dialog.
- Sped up saving of dictionaries.
- (Macintosh) Fixed bug displaying lists of more than 512 elements.
This primarily affected clue display.
- (Macintosh) Fixed file browser to allow proper selection of clue