Download and Installation Instructions by System:
The current release of CrossFire is version 1.3.2. For information about
changes and older releases, see these version notes
- Download and run
- If you are upgrading from an older version, you may need to be
aware of some differences:
- Previous releases have required you to install Java before
running. This is no longer necessary as Java 17 is bundled with
- Previous releases installed under "Program Files (x86)" but
the new version appears under "Program Files". If you delete the
old version, you may need to adjust your "Dictionary" preferences
to reference the new location for "default.dict".
- Make sure that you are running Java 17 or later. Beekeeper
Labs likes the Zulu OpenJDK releases
but any distro should work.
- Download and unpack
CrossFire distribution in a location of your choosing.
- Run the supplied "crossfire" shell script.
- Macintosh (OS X 10.7.3 & later)
- Download the
- Double click on the the installer. Choose the default options.
- Find the CrossFire application under "/Applications" and the
auxiliary files (i.e. default dictionary and sample puzzles) under
"/Library". (Note that "/Applications" is a global folder under "Macintosh Hard Drive", and
shouldn't be confused with any similarly named folder underneath your home folder.)